After consulting with a LYS owner, I chopped the Handstrikket apart and started reknitting it from the top down.
I finished the new sleeve yesterday and I LOVE how it fits. Such a huge difference, no pun intended! I'm not sure you can tell much from the pictures, but here are the before and the after sleeves. With the before pic, I'd knitted about two-thirds of the sleeve. As you can see, in the new version I've removed the extraneous fabric under the arms and have shortened the sleeve considerably.
BEFORE - about two-thirds done, knitted from the bottom up
AFTER - knitted from the top down
I made some minor mods to the cuff, too. I think it's really pretty.
I started on the second sleeve last night. I'm excited to be moving right along. Maybe the endless stockinette body won't bother me so much if I feel like it's really going to fit well at the end.
I'm also changing the bottom of the sweater, btw. I'm canning the two-inches of ribbing and adding a hem that won't draw in under my big butt. I think this will be more becoming. I'm going to use a unique technique for the hem... more on that when I get to the bottom. - again, no pun intended! Enjoy your Memorial Day everyone. We're having a barbecue, but I'll be over in the corner knitting away waiting for the steaks to cook. I hope you can get some serious knitting in today, too.