Thursday, September 9, 2010

The first Melrose sleeve

As promised, today I write about the Melrose Peacoat's first finished sleeve.


The 3.75 stitch gauge in bulky yarn yields a record-fast knit. How gratifying to stitch just a few rows and already have an inch on the needles. But the amazingly soft and lofty yarn delivers the most satisfaction. The Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande promises to be the most snuggly sweater ever. The next time someone I know gets pregnant, she's definitely getting a beautifully soft baby alpaca blanket.

I thought knitting this sweater would require very little brainpower but after finishing the sleeve a couple of days ago, I realized the sleeve was 2.5 inches longer than it should be. The culprit: I'd neglected to change the sleeve length measurement Sweater Wizard. As I've warned before, if you use Sweater Wizard to create patterns, be very careful because the software simply specs the sleeves way too long. Anyway, to resolve the issue, I cut off the sleeve cap, picked up the stitches, and reknit the cap. See? All that experience gained reknitting the Handstrikket has already come to good use.

Next up: finishing the next sleeve and then I'll move to the back. My current ruminations revolve around whether to include the textured rose pattern on the back of the jacket. I'm not sure. For me, less is usually more from a design perspective (remember that I'm a graphic designer in my real life). And I don't feel like the rose connects design-wise to the seed stitch front and borders. It would be a lot more fun to knit something other than straight stockinette stitch, but... I guess I'll think about it while I'm knitting the next sleeve. If you have a strong opinion either way, please share. I'd love to hear what you think.

5 comments:

  1. I really can't wait to see this sweater finished. It is in my queue was well! Dang math!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rose on the back looks "puckery", like maybe it is not blocked well. In the picture as is I don't like it but you could put any design on there as long as it doesn't look all puckered up.

    Beautiful sweater though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the sweater in the picture isn't well blocked; i thought several of the sweaters in the book would have benefited from a good wet blocking. well blocked, i think the design on the back adds interest, but maybe another motif, done in seed stitch, would tie it all together better. I think some sort of design element on the upper back would visually balance the top and bottom back of the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers have been answered!
    In another post(s) I always admired the speed of you gals who knit Continental style and loved the video from Berroco on the knit stitch you had mentioned.
    Well today I viewed the Purl video which came into my email this morning and was amazed to see the 2 stitches being worked in Continental style..the instructor just breezed along.
    How arm-tiring English method looks now when I compare the 2.
    OK..off I go to practice later on this afternoon.
    t_a

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Exactly! With Continental, you only need to make tiny movements... no manually moving yarn to the front and back... it's SO much easier and faster. Practice - and you'll never go back.

    ReplyDelete