After driving for most of the first day, we're starting our getaway in Brunswick, Maine, where I'll be taking Amy Herzog's Fit to Flatter class at Purl Diva. Amy authored an incredible, affordable set of tutorials about knitting sweaters that best flatter your figure. The class is her first venture into teaching real-live people about her techniques. I'm very excited to attend.
Then Tom and I are spending a couple of days exploring coastal Maine before heading west to Jeffersonville, Vermont, my most favorite place in the world. I grew up in the DC area but whenever I go to Vermont, I feel like I've come home. I'm not sure if there are soul mates but there are definitely soul places and this one is mine.
Sterling Ridge, a beautiful place with a large handful of log cabins. There's no roughing it here though. Every cottage comes equipped with a jacuzzi tub, cable TV, firm king size beds, high-quality linens, fully equipped kitchens, and cozy front porches that are surrounded by Vermont beauty. I love it.
After a few days in Vermont, we're heading south to the yarn capital of the free world: Webs. I've never been there before but considering I spend half my earnings there every month, it's time to check it out. Webs is sort of on our way anyway; we're spending the last night of our trip in Massachusetts with my best friend from college, Judy, and her husband, Jeff.
Then we'll be slogging home down 95 and I'll be telling myself, yet again, to "work hard for another year so you can go back to New England, the place where you really belong." Sigh. :-(
But all is not lost. I'm coming back to lots and lots of knitting classes:
- Locally, next week I'm starting a four-month class to prepare for The Knitting Guild of America's Master Level 1 certification.
- Today I'm going to northern Virginia to take a day-long class in Aran sweater knitting from designer Beth Brown Reinsel who is ironically from Vermont!
- I'm heading back to western Pennsylvania twice in October to take more classes with my favorite knitting teacher, Kathy Zimmerman. I'm scheduling a private class with her and then am taking her Fearless Knitting class to learn more advanced sweater fitting techniques.
- I hope go back to Kathy's for her fall weekend workshop in November.
- And of course, there's the Fit to Flatter class I've already mentioned.